The vision for the site is to build a later living community alongside affordable housing to enable the charity to rehouse the existing social housing tenants on site, which will contribute to the existing mixed and inclusive neighbourhood. Consisting mainly of one and two bedroom generously-sized apartments, the new homes have been designed to encourage older homeowners to relocate to a more convenient and smaller home with lower maintenance, on-site amenities, and support if needed.
This diversification of the housing mix helps to free up larger under-occupied homes for growing families whilst allowing older residents to stay local. The residents will add to the local economy, contributing to expenditure and activity on the high street of East Molesey, whilst also breathing new life into a site that has reached the end of its operational life.
- Delivery of 54 new homes for later living to meet an identified housing need
- Appropriate use of a currently brownfield site in a fantastic location
- Landscaped public realm creating access and security along the River Ember
- Commitment to improving the pedestrian path on the other side of the river as part of any proposals that come forward
- Delivery of 20 affordable homes and a long-term future for the charity on this site
- Contribution to local infrastructure and enhance the local community
- Increased biodiversity through planting and green roofs
- High-quality design using architecture that references the local surroundings